The inevitability of digital currencies is a fact supported by the historical evolution of money from cowries of the stone age to today’s paper money. Obviously, the digital age needs money that embodies the characteristics of this era.
While private digital currencies like bitcoin and Ether appear to be gaining prominence, Central Banks worldwide are considering a countermeasure through a central bank digital currency (CBDC). Apparently, the Battle of the Coins is imminent.
However, with the exception of the Central Bank of Nigeria and the Bank of Ghana, few CBDC-related activities are seen in Africa. This calls for an examination into the state of CBDC in Africa. And the theme for our inaugural Fellowship/Policy Report.
E4E, short for emerging technologies for emerging markets is a tech policy advocacy group and Think Tank seeking to toe the path of policy-to-action that ensures emerging markets are not outmaneuvered in the adoption of emerging technologies. For our launch, we are organizing a Fellowship program, and this is our call for applications.
Who Are We Looking For?
- Anyone with an interest in tech policy advocacy.
- Anyone with an interest in the theme (CBDC in Africa).
- Anyone with experience doing research and writing.
- Anyone with a strong command of the English language, writing, and speaking.
What Can You Expect?
- Weekly intimate sessions with experts on topics relating to the theme.
- Opportunity to collaborate on the creation of the first Africa continent-wide report on CBDC.
- Network with other professionals within and outside Africa.
At the closing ceremony for the Fellowship, we will formally introduce E4E, team members, and inaugural Fellows, and also publicly release the report. What impact Will CBDC have on AcFTA? Will public and private digital currencies be allowed to coexist? Or will the Battle of the Coins be a zero-sum game? These and more are some of the questions the report will shed some light on.
Are you interested in taking the road less traveled with us at E4E? Then please, fill this form to submit your application. We will be in touch by December 15 with the status of your application and the next steps.